Trip to London on the 3rd July 2013
On the 3rd July 1943 our founder members met at the Holborn Restaurant in High Holborn, London, to hold the inaugural meeting of the Toddington Old Boys’ Association.
The Holborn Restaurant was a building opposite the Holborn Underground railway station. The building was demolished in 1954, and a new building was erected, which houses a Sainsbury’s supermarket.
On the 3rd July 2013, 70 years after the inaugural meeting, eight members of the Association travelled to the site of that first meeting in London, and a few hundred metres from the site where the Holborn Restaurant stood, went to a restaurant for luncheon.
The eight members were Len Hull (Chairman), Hedley Denmark (Vice Chairman), Hugh Elliott (Secretary & Treasurer), John Bryant, Robert Gordon, Howard O’Dell, Peter and Robin Fletcher. (Peter and Robin’s Grandfather Harry Fletcher was one of the founder members at the inaugural meeting).
The eight members had a very enjoyable luncheon, and it was fitting to be within metres of the site where the Toddington Old Boys’ Association was formed, 70 years to the day.
Hugh Elliott (Secretary)